Nikon COOLSHOT 20 Review
Capable of providing speedy and precise measures upto 550 yards/meters, this best golf laser rangefinder is so flexible you can also gather an accurate measure upto 1 yard/meter for distances shorter than 100 yards.
This accuracy measure leaps to 2 yards for distances over that mark.
Other features include an 8-second continuous scanning function and Target Priority technology that together render this rangefinder top of its class.
Consider also the fact that the Nikon COOLSHOT 20 is waterproof and you can find use for it even in rainy or otherwise inclement weather.
Table of Contents
Nikon COOLSHOT 20 Review :- Features
Nikon Golf- Coolshot 20 Laser Rangefinder
- Measurement range: 5-500m/6-550 yd
- First Target Priority mode is employed when measuring overlapping subjects, the distance of the closest subject is displayed - useful when golfing for measuring the distance to a flagstick on a green with woods in the background
- A single press of the POWER button provides 8-second continuous measurement, which enables measurement even with slight hand movement
- Most compact and lightest model of the Nikon golf electronics family
- Distance measurement display step is 1m/yd
Internal and external features comprising this rangefinder:
- Light-receiving lens
- Light-receiving photo-diode
- Light-emitting laser-diode
- LCD view screen
- Eyepiece lens
- Roof prism
- Objective lens
1. First Target Priority Algorithm
Its range finds and targets the nearest object among multiple others, followed by a precise measurement of the distance between it and you.
In this case, if the object is a flagstick, background images are not considered, only the flagstick is. In a way, the First Target Priority Algorithm is one of the COOLSHOT 20’s smartest features.
Your approach shots can certainly benefit from this. Do not forget, you can also use the 6x magnification to take a closer look at the target object.
2. Rainproof Body
This useful design element takes into consideration rainy days during golfing. They are no longer a problem. Most golfers enjoy playing in the rain, which serves as a challenge or often just a new way to try playing golf.
The rangefinder becomes a boon and not a loss when it comes to such climes. Designed using the JIS/IEC protection class 4 (IPX4), the COOLSHOT 20 delivers on this promise.
3. Auto Shutoff
The power automatically shuts off in times of inactivity spanning 8 seconds. This is an amazing function because it helps save battery life, allowing you to rely on the device for longer while out in the field without having to keep charging it.
Also, this feature is an inconvenience-eliminator, letting you seek a range and golf away as 8 seconds pass and the COOLSHOT turns itself off.
4. Hyper Head
If you are wondering how this rangefinder can perform so accurately, consistently providing reliable measurements with very little response times, it is thanks to Nikon’s original data processing algorithm termed ‘Hyper Head’.
Not only does it rapidly display distance measurements no matter how far the target object stands, the Nikon COOLSHOT 20 Rangefinder gives you the ability to focus fully on the game without wasting time deciphering range measurements to help hone your shot.
5. Multilayer Coating
Offering increased light transmission, you get a much brighter view through the lens compared to what you can see with the naked eye.
The light reflection that this also produces is responsible for reducing flares and ghost effects and rendering the sight of your target gloriously crisp.
Every target object on the golf course can be seen with crystal-clear clarity; this does not stand as replacement for those who rely on the use of spectacles.
This is quite an important feature for the Nikon COOLSHOT 20 Rangefinder because it can be the difference between a comfortable grip and a weak hold.
Specially optimized for golfing and golfers, Nikon engineers were able to craft this rangefinder to be light and compact (enough to slip into a back pocket) without sacrificing precision and optimal optical performance.
7. High Performance Viewfinder
A large ocular feature means a long eye relief design element that allows golfers to easily view a wider field of range.
This is an especially practical feature for those who wear spectacles; it will no longer pose a hassle to look through the COOLSHOT’s lens with your glasses on; same applies for sunshades.
8. Accurate Measurements All Round
From precise flagstick targeting (mentioned earlier) and sophisticated software to a keen optical design and more the COOLSHOT has proven that even if you have shaky hands its continuous measurement functionality takes a series of images that, at the push of a button, keeps on the target for 8 seconds to get you a spot-on measurement.
Flagstick Measurement Tips Using The COOLSHOT 20 Rangefinder
- Tip 1 – Minimizing the influence of hand shakes, rely on the continuous measurement functionality to provide a consecutive measurement display. Keep targeting the flag on the center of the crosswire to get the best measure possible.
- Tip 2 – The flag is larger than the stick. Target the flag, place it on the viewfinder target-marker’s center. If the target is off-centre from the mark, your measure will be imprecise or even immeasurable.
Nikon COOLSHOT 20 Review:- Tech Specs
- Battery: CR2 lithium
- Dimensions: 91(H) x 73(H) x 37(W)mm
- Weight: 125g (not including battery)
- 8-second continuous measurement functionality
- Smallest, lightest, most compact rangefinder on the market
- Rainproof; by extension, waterproof
- Original ergonomic design
- 6x magnification feature
- Allowed for use in Tournaments
- First target priority; allows zooming in on the target
- Dioptre adjustment feature
- Multilayer lens coating for brighter clearer images
It is not a critical downside but the fact that the COOLSHOT 20 cannot provide slope measurements should be noted. If you are looking for rangefinder with slope, then Nikon Coolshot 20i GII is an excellent option.
Nikon COOLSHOT 20 Review :- Conclusion
This excellent Nikon wonder-product has proven its value for money during actual golf tests.
- Dogleg Shots – Golfers used this rangefinder to gauge the distance to a tree in front of the corner. They then sought the distance to the woods to get the distance to the center of the fairway. Their shot was then flawless (give or take).
- Hazard Shots – When there was a bunker or pond in front of the green, golfers used this rangefinder to gauge the distance to the edge of the green and the distance to the hazard. They could more safely shoot afterwards.
Sold at the jaw-dropping low cost at Amazon, the Nikon COOLSHOT 20 Golf Laser Rangefinder is not just affordable, it is also reliable and its performance quality is not to be underestimated. There is no doubt Coolshot 20 is one of the best golf rangefinder under 300.