Nikon COOLSHOT 20 GII Review
At first glance, the Nikon COOLSHOT 20 GII/G2 is similar to other brand models with the same specifications; but judging a book by its cover has always been wrong.
This small handheld device packs a bag full of technological wonders on par with the more expensive brand name rangefinders.
It is a lot cheaper than the Bushnell brand rangefinder. But, that doesn’t mean that this wonderful rangefinder can be ignored.
Yes, you get what you pay for, but there are surprises from time to time. Price-wise, the Coolshot 20 GII is a very nice surprise for golfers.
This is an upgraded version of the Nikon cool shot 20 with better optics.
Even cooler, this little box is certified for tournament use by the USGA. It comes with 5 years warranty.
Let’s get to Coolshot 20 GII Laser Rangefinder features in detail:
Table of Contents
Nikon COOLSHOT 20 GII Review:- Features
Nikon Coolshot 20 GII Golf Laser Rangefinder, With Extra Case Kit
- THE NEXT GENERATION OF THE TOP-SELLING COOLSHOT 20, WITH INCREASED RANGE AND SUPERIOR ACCURACY: With a measurement range of 6-800 yards, displaying in 1-yard increments and accurate to 1-yard (under 100 yards), and 2-yard (over 100 yards).
- COMPACT, LIGHTWEIGHT AND ERGONOMIC DESIGN. This truly pocketable rangefinder is perfect for those who may prefer to walk a few holes or the entire course. Requires less space and weight whether in your bag, in a pocket, or carried in hand.
- ENGINEERED AND BACKED BY NIKON - A 100+ YEAR OLD OPTICS AND TECHNOLOGY LEADER. Industry Leading 5-year . Rainproof (IPx4).
- NIKON OPTICS FOR BOTH THE VIEWER AND THE LASER. Nikon quality 6x optical monocular with multilayer coating for bright, clear images. Eyepiece Focus Diopter to focus to your own exact vision. Long Eye Relief (20mm) for use with sunglasses or eyeglasses.
- ADVANCED PIN IDENTIFICATION AND QUICK MULTI-TARGET MAPPING - Single or Continuous measurement (up to 8 seconds) allows for quick, easy measurements to multiple targets, without the wait for a secondary indicator, such as a vibration or LED.
- Range of measurement: 6-800 yards or 5.48-730 meters
- First Target Priority Mode. Turning this on will instruct the Coolshot G2 to measure the nearest object within a cluster of objects.
- For example, the flag amongst the background of trees.
- Eight-second continuous scanning. Simply hold down the power button for 8 seconds and the Nikon Coolshot 20 G2 will scan all the objects it can, minimizing hand movements will help a lot.
- Get a high-quality, bright, and clear view with the Coolshot’s 6x rangefinder with multilayer coating.
- See a bright view of the field thanks to higher light transmission.
- The eye lens is 8 mm. Big enough for comfortable viewing.
- 5-degree field of view
- LED backlights for dark conditions, illuminating the display for easy reading.
- Both the outer casing and battery doors are waterproofed but should not be submerged in water.
Nikon Coolshot 20 GII is a clean and simple golf rangefinder without any unnecessary features. it’s a compact and lightweight golf rangefinder. Its really lightweight with weighs around 125 grams.
You can hold it easily with one hand, compared to other heavy rangefinders its convenient to use and hold with one hand.
It got decent build quality for its price. It’s pretty well made and seems to be lasting for long and is durable.
Also, the Coolshot 20 GII is tolerant of temperatures ranging from -10C to 50C. Quite a good buy for a small and cheaper package.
Underneath its basic white, weatherproofed exterior, the Coolshot 20 G2 delivers a host of functionalities that will surprise every golfer. People never expected David to win against Goliath.
In the same way, people never expected the Coolshot G2 to have almost the same specifications as similar models from other brands; not with the retail price attached to it. The Coolshot G2 has become a dark horse of sorts.
The smaller size of the Coolshot GII requires steadier hands. Unlike the Bushnell model, which will latch onto an object with ease, the Coolshot GII needs more delicate handling.
However, This is a nice small-size rangefinder that easily fits on your belt or in your pocket.
Aside from that, there aren’t that many negatives. There is always a misconception that more expensive brands were more accurate. If the Bushnell could be accurate to a yard, then the Coolshot 20 GII is accurate to two yards after 100 yards.
However, for most of the use cases, this rangefinder is very accurate.
You can use it for camping tent layouts, finding lot lines, sightlines on forested land, and setting up pellet gun targets at known distances. This is a versatile rangefinder with multiple applications.
The greatest selling point of the Nikon Coolshot 20 G2 is its retail price. It’s a lot cheaper than most of the brands, but it contains almost all the same features.
Of course, the Bushnell has a vibrating alarm when locked onto a flag, and the maximum range for the Bushnell is a thousand yards.
That may look like a big difference, but it isn’t really.
A par 5 hole would usually measure 600 to 700 yards on average. One of the longest holes is a double dogleg 1007 yards.
So unless you get a hole of over a thousand yards without any curves or doglegs, you won’t be needing the thousand-yard range.
It would be cool to have it, sure, but you will most likely not get to use it anyway.
If all you need is to measure the distance from shot to shot, or from tee to flag, then the Coolshot GII does its job. Quite the practical advice from a golfer like you.
The Coolshot 20 GII also has something similar to the Pin Seeker feature. The little rangefinder is capable of locking onto a flag. However, you need a steadier hand to get a pin lock.
Amusingly enough, most of the golfers feel that it reads the pin instantly. Maybe they already have steady hands?
Finally, the Coolshot 20 GII is an award-winning product. So do not worry about its quality, it’s accurate and lightweight to carry around.
Nikon Coolshot 20 G2 Specifications
- 4” x 1.5” x 2.8” Dimensions
- 6x sharp Magnification
- 9 ounces Weight
- 18 mm Lens (Objective)
- Range: 5.48-730 meters or 6-800 yards
- CR2 type Lithium battery
- Unique Pin Technology feature
Nikon COOLSHOT 20 GII 2021 Review:-
Pros & Cons
- Certified for tournament use by the USGA.
- First Target Priority Mode allows for easy range finding amidst a cluttered background.
- An 18 mm ocular lens gives a wide measurement range.
- LED backlight for easy reading in dark conditions.
- Batteries included.
- Temperature tolerance from -10C to 50C
- Clearer viewing with focus control.
- Golfers with prescription glasses will find it more comfortable to use with the longer eye relief design.
- 5 Years Warranty.
- The small, compact design, means a smaller LED display and smaller letters
- It is rain-proofed, but not submersible
- It does not come with a slope feature.
Frequently Asked Questions.
Nikon COOLSHOT 20 GII Review:- Conclusion
The Nikon COOLSHOT 20 GII 2021 Golf Laser Rangefinder packs a hell of a lot of value for its price.
You may be getting one at retail, but consider yourself to have gotten a bargain.
Its functions are comparable to most of the best rangefinders of the same caliber. Admittedly, it has some shortcomings such as a shorter maximum range and the need for steadier hands, but that does not detract from its overall functionality.
It can lock on to pins and find the range of a flag even when the background is a cluster of trees; just like the more expensive models.
The wider lens of the rangefinder also churns out a wider display. This is Nikon’s advantage over most other rangefinder brands. Unfortunately, the compact size of this little rangefinder reduces the size of the LED display.
And because it is smaller, it requires a bit more delicate and steady handling.
But, again, If all you needed to do was to measure the range for your next shot, then the Coolshot 20 GII 2021 does its job well.
Do let us know if you find this Nikon COOLSHOT 20 GII Review was helpful to you.
If you are looking for a slope version, then have a look at Nikon Coolshot 20i GII Golf Rangefinder, you can buy it from here.
We Hope, our Nikon COOLSHOT 20 GII Review was helpful in choosing the best rangefinder.
Amazon Top Rated Golf Rangefinders 2021
|1||Callaway 300 Pro Golf Laser Rangefinder with Slope...||98 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
|2||Bushnell Tour V4 JOLT Golf Laser Rangefinder,...||349 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
|3||Raythor Golf Rangefinder,6X Rechargeable Laser...||No ratings yet||Check on Amazon|
|4||TecTecTec VPRO500 Golf Rangefinder - Laser Range...||3285 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
|5||Raythor Golf Rangefinder, 6X Rechargeable Laser...||No ratings yet||Check on Amazon|