Best Golf GPS And Handheld Devices 2020 Review
Are you a golfer who uses estimation to record your distances? Leave the guestimation thing and start recording accurate data.
That sounds awesome, right? The golf GPS is either handheld or smartphone-sized while some can even be worn on the wrist like watches.
The list below contains the best golf GPS Rangefinders, which are either watches or handheld. With these devices, your experience is enhanced, making the game of golf even more enjoyable.
Best Golf GPS And Handheld Devices 2020 List
There is no doubt that Golf has completely gone digital these days.
You can easily see many companies coming up with many devices that help the golfers play easily even on an unfamiliar course.
The golf GPS handheld is now common each having more sophisticated features than before.
Some now have a larger display, motion sensors, and many features to handle different types of course information.
In many golf GPS reviews, you can be sure all the features will be covered in detail to help the golfer make an informed decision on which system to buy.
The golf GPS devices are for golfers who are always winners in their minds.
Such players do not want the natural obstacles to keep on blocking them from achieving their win.
The devices are also quite important when it comes to playing a handicap game as it will offer information about the hole graphics. Since the devices are simple to operate, you do not need a techie to help in using them.
Table of Contents
- Best Golf GPS And Handheld Devices 2020 List
- Garmin Approach S20, GPS Golf Watch with Step Tracking, Preloaded Courses, Black
- GolfBuddy Voice 2 Golf GPS/Rangefinder, White/Blue
- Garmin Approach G10, Compact and Handheld Golf GPS with 1.3-inch Display
- Garmin Approach S40, Stylish GPS Golf Smartwatch, Lightweight with Touchscreen Display, Gray/Stainless Steel
- Recommended Products
- Garmin Approach S60, Premium GPS Golf Watch with Touchscreen Display and Full Color CourseView Mapping, Black w/Silicone Band
- Garmin Approach G30, Handheld Golf GPS with 2.3-inch Color Touchscreen Display
- Garmin Approach G8 Golf Course GPS
- Izzo Golf Swami Handheld 6000 Golf GPS, Yellow, 3.75" x 2" x 1"
- Garmin Approach S10 - Lightweight GPS Golf Watch, Granite Blue, 010-02028-02
- SkyCaddie SX500, Handheld Golf GPS
- Amazon Top Rated Golf GPS Watches & Devices In 2020
- Best Golf GPS Rangefinder Buyer’s Guide.
- Types of Golf GPS Rangefinders
- Golf GPS VS Laser Rangefinders
- Tips for buying the best golf GPS in 2020
- Golf GPS Rangefinder FAQs
The laser rangefinders are used by the golfers who want to attain short distances.
They are more like the higher-spec handheld golf GPS.
- However, these don’t offer detailed data of the hole as well as green surrounds.
- However, they are hard to use when the flag is hidden or even when the hazards are behind trees.
Golf GPS handhelds are suitable for serious golfers. They offer a posterior view of the hole also.
- These offer more details and are ideal if the golfer plays different courses. You can also save your score on the GPS handhelds.
Golf GPS watch comes with multiple features such as hazards, doglegs, and you can also pair your phone with the watches to receive updates.
- They are easy to use and observe.
Let’s have a loot at the best golf GPS rangefinders in detail.
1) Garmin Approach S20, GPS Golf Watch with Step Tracking
Garmin Approach S20, GPS Golf Watch with Step Tracking, Preloaded Courses, Black
- AUTOSHOT - Round analyzer measures shot distances with auto-recording for post-round analysis on your Garmin Connect account
- STYLISH COMFORT - Fully-hinged, sleek watchband design with comfortable fit. Display resolution: 128 x 128 pixels
- TRUSWING COMPATIBLE - When paired, Garmin TruSwing golf swing sensor provides metrics to improve your swing consistency. Display size: 0.9 x 0.9(inches)
- ACTIVITY TRACKING - Reminds you to stay active on or off the course with move bar alerts. Displays steps, calories burned, distance and time of day, plus it monitors hours of sleep.
- STAT TRACKING - Enhanced stats keeps track of fairways hit, greens in regulation and putts per round
If you want to take the guesswork out of your golf game, you want to have the tool that picks up where coaching from your golf pro leaves off.
With attention to the precise distance and direction of your next shot, you have the opportunity to take strokes off every round on the course over the coming golf season.
The Garmin Approach S20 GPS Golf Watch is the device that can help to get you there.
You can gain confidence in every course, even if it’s your first visit with the features and analytics of the Garmin Approach S20.
Outstanding Feature & Specification
Autoshot: Its auto shot feature automatically records and measures the shot distance for post-round analysis on Garmin connect account.
Pre-loaded course maps: With more than 40,000 courses pre-loaded and a map view for every hole and GPS technology which places and tracks you as you make your way through the course you know exactly where you are every time and your distance to the green on each shot.
Customized Distances: The Garmin Approach S20 Golf Watch also calculates the distances for the front, back and center of the green to allow for a range that will put you within putting distance.
This is particularly helpful for monitoring hazards and bunkers along the course to try to avoid those hazards.
Stay connected: With connectivity to your smartphone, the Approach S20 allows you to stay in touch with the rest of your party with synced e-mails and text messages received directly on the watch.
Scorekeeper: Go paperless on the course knowing that the Approach S20 is keeping track of your performance for you.
With analytics that goes straight to your computer, you can print or share your overall score or keep track of the individual strokes and consistently monitor your progress to measure the progress in your gameplay.
Quick and convenient: With a bold display and touch screen access, as well as one button green view functionality, the S20 is a user-friendly device that makes the science of golf available to any user, whether amateur or pro.
Activity Tracker: Apart from golf stats S20 can track your daily activities, it can track calories burned, hours of sleep and steps, etc.
- The accuracy of GPS technology is an amazing evolution for this type of technology.
- Knowing exactly where you are on the course and the fairway helps you to pick the right club for the shot and the swing with confidence that you know where you want the shot to go.
- With the weight and appearance of a standard wristwatch, including timekeeping functions and some added benefits with an odometer feature and a timer which allows you to keep track of your total gameplay, the Approach S20 is convenient for use both on and off the course.
- Boasting a ten-hour function while in GPS mode, makes it convenient for a full day of play even on the most challenging courses.
- As a watch, in regular mode, the S20 can operate for up to six weeks on a single charge.
- The convenience of the S20 compared to other measuring devices is fantastic. Just strap it to your wrist and don’t even think about it.
No Ongoing Fees:
- Free updates of course maps and device software ensure that there are no hidden fees associated with the product, so the costs of Approach S20 are all upfront.
- Compared to similar products on the market, some will note that the Approach S20 carries a higher price tag than many of its competitors. However, the functionality and features loaded into this product have a lot to offer.
Analytics are Independent:
- Though the Approach S20 is tracking scores and personal performance, this wasn’t anything that you could share at the clubhouse immediately after my round.
- You needed to go home and download the information to my personal computer first.
Reliance on WiFi signal:
- Some buyers have reported that depending on the strength of the wifi signal, sometimes the GPS coordinates may bounce from one hole to the next in the middle of the play.
- Some have also experienced sensitivity in the touch screen function of the S20.
Without a doubt, Garmin has made a significant investment to earn its reputation as an industry leader in wearable technology for sports.
After my experience with the S20 what I can say is that if you’re serious about your game and you are finding a best Golf GPS device, the Garmin Approach S20 Golf Watch is an essential piece of technology to add to your golf gear.
GolfBuddy Voice 2 Golf GPS/Rangefinder, White/Blue
- Easy-to-use talking GPS
- Distances to front/center/back of the green
- Dynamic green view Technology with distance readings from the golfer's perspective
- Up to 14-hour battery life (2+ rounds per charge) and water resistant
- Male/female Voice option
Did you know that most golfers think that they hit the ball a lot farther than they do? Using a GPS rangefinder device can help you to improve your golfing game.
The Golfbuddy Voice 2 Golf GPS rangefinder is the viable alternative to a laser rangefinder, simply due to its small size, accuracy, and simplicity.
Using the Golfbuddy Voice 2 is less obtrusive to your game than rummaging in your golfing bag to retrieve a larger, laser device, or trying to operate one of the more complex rangefinders, which can be confusing, and time-consuming if they have too many functions.
- GolfBuddy Voice 2 is a convenient device and use for your game thanks to its form, ease of use and be able to clip on wherever you want.
- By using this device, you can improve your performance in the course as well as feeling more interested in your game.
- It has multilingual settings, with eight different European and Asian languages programmed in.
- The software updates to the system are all free, there are no fees or membership subs to pay, and it has a range of accessories available, such as an in-car charger, and a belt clip.
- The Golfbuddy Voice 2 can show the distances to the front, the back, and the middle of the green simultaneously, which is a good new feature, much more convenient, showing that you can always improve on a good thing.
- You can wear it as a wrist band.
- Few users facing battery charging issues.
3) Garmin Approach G10 Best Golf GPS Handheld
Garmin Approach G10, Compact and Handheld Golf GPS with 1.3-inch Display
- Display size: 0.9" x 0.9" (23 x 23 mm)
- Compact Design - Sleek, Pocket-Sized Design That Conveniently Clips-On To Your Belt, Bag Or Place It In Your Pocket
- Hazards - Hazards And Course Targets To Identify Locations Of Sand Traps, Water Hazards And More
- Gps Receiver - High-Sensitivity Gps Acquires Satellites Quickly To Show Distance To Greens, Hazards And Doglegs -Even Under Tree Cover
- Green View - Displays The Shape Of The Green With Manual Pin Placement
The Garmin Approach G10 Golf GPS is one of those small golf GPS devices you can find in the market. It only measures 0.7 x 1.5 x 2 inches and weighs 1.12 ounce. You can easily clip it to your golf-shirt, sun visor, or golf gloves.
Garmin Approach G10 GPS is a technological genius when it comes to golf GPS handheld rangefinder. It features more than 40,000-course capacity in which 40,000 are already pre-loaded for free.
Its voice feature can tell you the distance from your position to the front, center, and back of the green. When you play in a new course, the device automatically recognizes the entire course and the location of its holes.
It can measure your shot’s distance and tell you through a multi-lingual function. It has a dynamic green look function in which the green rotates depending on where you approach it from.
Its battery can last for 15 hours before needing to be recharged again. Whenever you get irritated by the voice feature, you can always adjust its volume control. The Garmin Approach G10 GPS is a must for expert golfers.
Besides the display screen, it also has an audio function that can tell you, through voice feature, the necessary measurements you need to know during the game.
It can be configured to speak in different languages so any person of any nationality can use it with ease. You can also adjust the volume if you find the voice annoying.
The device can give you important measurements on different sides of the green. You can use it right after taking it out of the packaging and you don’t have to download courses. It is already preloaded with up to 40 thousand golf courses around the world.
- You can either read the measurement or let the voice function tell it to you.
- Even if the volume is turned down in the middle, you can still hear it clearly without other players hearing it.
- It is very convenient to carry as it can be clipped to virtually anything you wear. You may even forget you are wearing it.
- It gives precise measurements most of the time.
- It can record the measurement of the distance between to areas.
- The information you need is always displayed. You don’t have to press buttons for them to appear.
Garmin Approach S40, Stylish GPS Golf Smartwatch, Lightweight with Touchscreen Display, Gray/Stainless Steel
- Stylish, lightweight GPS golf watch with a sunlight-readable 1. 2" color touchscreen display with metal bezel and quick release bands for easy change of style or color
- Preloaded with more than 41, 000 courses from around the world
- Measures and auto-records detected shot distances; putts are not tracked, and some other shots, such as chips around the green, may not be tracked; pair with optional Approach CT10
- Green View feature allows manual pin positioning; quickly reference distances to the front, middle and back of the green as well as hazards and doglegs
- Tracks everyday activities such as steps, sleep and includes built-in multisport profiles
This watch is fashionable, versatile and lightweight, making it preferable by most people.
It is multipurpose to offer different information about the golf course. It offers exclusive data free for the first month after purchase.
The watch comes with preloaded courses that include the Green info.
The rise of Approach S40 has made Garmin a leading company when it comes to making watches combined with golf GPS features.
This watch covers basic features of a standard golf GPS such as distances to specific points in the green about the player’s location.
Each necessary feature is available with just a twist of your forearm. It can also measure the distance of shots and provide the basic functions of a standard watch.
This watch also comes preloaded with over 16 thousand courses in North America alone and more than 41,000 pre-loaded courses around the world.
The Approach S40 only requires charging the battery before you play. It can be done through the connection of a cable that is already clipped to the gadget.
This is no like other GPS watches which would still require USB plugs to be charged.
You also don’t have to download course maps because the most popular ones have already been preloaded for free. You only have to confirm that the battery has already been charged before your game.
Charging may take 3 hours of your time so you have to do it earlier before a game. The watch has an indicator of a fully charged battery on its screen when it is ready.
- You can easily access information with a turn of your wrist.
- The device has superior coverage of the course.
- The course database can be accessed free of charge.
5) Garmin Approach S60, Premium GPS Golf Watch
Garmin Approach S60, Premium GPS Golf Watch with Touchscreen Display and Full Color CourseView Mapping, Black w/Silicone Band
- Sleek GPS golf watch that reflects your passion on and off the course. Quick Fit 22 mm watch band compatible
- Large, 1.2 inches Sunlight-readable color touchscreen display. Available outdoor recreation profiles : Skiing, Snowboarding, XC Skiing, Stand Up Paddleboarding, Rowing
- Quickly gets your location using GPS to Show precise yardages to greens, Hazards and doglegs, on full-color course maps
- Convenient Quick Fit bands for fast style changes without tools. Battery life- up to 10 hours in golf mode; up to 10 days in watch mode
- More than 40, 000 preloaded courses from around the world. QuickFit watch band compatible:0.866 inches
For the discerning golfer focused on fine-tuning every element of your game, the Garmin S60 GPS Watch is an essential tool in your arsenal.
This watch will make sure to have a great golfing experience that you have ever experienced before. This device gives you the advantage to create a battle plan for every course you conquer.
Offering both precision monitoring of your performance and vital data to develop your strategy with every shot, this is a product is the ultimate course companion.
The performance of this watch has been proved by so many golfers.
One of the greatest advantages of the Approach S60 is that the size and weight of the device are similar to a standard wristwatch.
The accuracy of the GPS function of the device was impressive and the eight-hour battery life while in GPS mode is suitable for rounds on even the most active and challenging courses.
Smart technology also allows for alerts and interface with your smartphone to keep you aware of incoming text messages and e-mails.
Free updates of course maps and device software ensure that there are no hidden fees associated with the product, so the costs of Approach S6 are all upfront.
Compared to similar products on the market, some will note that the Approach S60 carries a higher price tag than many of its competitors.
However, the functionality, added features and attributes that have been loaded into this product which offer more than the advertised core function all contribute to demonstrating great value for the spend. Shop and compare and you’ll arrive at the same conclusion.
The device does track scores and course statistics, the results aren’t viewable in real-time on the watch itself.
While this can be synced and viewed on a mobile device or online, it does represent one minor drawback to an otherwise strong platform of performance.
Garmin Approach G30, Handheld Golf GPS with 2.3-inch Color Touchscreen Display
- Sleek, compact handheld golf GPS with 2.3-inch color touchscreen display
- High-sensitivity GPS acquires satellites quickly to show distance to greens, hazards and doglegs
- Preloaded with more than 40,000 courses worldwide
- Full-color course mapping with Touch Targeting feature
- Green View allows you to place the pin in the correct location for the day, which improves distance accuracy
Garmin Approach G30 is one solid piece of equipment to have. Even if its size is small enough to be unnoticeable in your pocket, it weighs pretty heavy at 5.35 ounces.
It also suffers the common problems of touchscreen devices, which is the difficulty to pinpoint large targets on the screen. If you have large fingers, it even makes it more difficult.
However, its 2.3-inch color touchscreen makes the navigation of the device’s features a lot easier than those with buttons. The illustrations provided by the Approach G3 are a lot brighter than photos, which make them easier to see even under the sunlight.
You don’t even have to set the device up because all courses are already preloaded in it. the packaging contains belt clips and a USB cable, which is a good way of keeping the device in its good condition.
The maps preloaded into the device are pretty reliable, making this unit a good tool to use when you play. If you are looking for Handheld GPS along with launch monitor, then check out the Garmin Approach G80 golf GPS rangefinder.
- It can match another model, the Approach G5 when it comes to user interface functions.
- It does not require setting up of courses because everything is already saved in it.
- Access of the course database can be made for free.
Garmin Approach G8 Golf Course GPS
- Plays like Distance Gives The Golfer Distances To The Target, Adjusted For Uphill Or Downhill Shots. Display size : 1.5 Inch x 2.6 Inch (3.9 x 6.5 cm). 3.0 Inchdiag (7.6 cm)
- Smart Notification Receive Email, Texts And Alerts From Your Iphone (4S Or Later) Directly On Your Golf Handheld;Physical dimensions:2.1 x 4.4 x 0.6 inches
- Garmin Connect Online golf community lets you play, then share and compare your round; visit connect.garmin.com to find out more
- Club Advice Remembers how far you hit each club, and provides recommendations on which club to use based on your shot distances PINPOINTER Provides blind shot assistance by pointing you in the right direction when you are unable to see the pin (G8 only)
- Big Numbers Mode For easy viewing on your screen, increase the font size for distances to the front, back and middle of the greens AUTOMATIC COURSE UPDATE Device automatically updates courses with a Wi-Fi connection for no additional charge (G8 only)
You will elevate your golf game to a whole new level with the Garmin Approach G8 golf GPS handheld device.
Combining the look and function of a handheld mobile device with all of the tools needed to give you a precise secret weapon on the course, expect your peers to start asking you “what’s your secret?”
Outstanding Features & Specification
Full-color touchscreen display: The convenience and visibility of full-color displays on a three-inch screen fits in your pocket and is as discreet as any mobile device that you may carry.
More than 39,000 pre-loaded courses: You can step up to the first tee box with confidence knowing that even if it is your first visit to that course, you have all the information that experienced golfers have at your fingertips.
plays like Distance feature: The topography of every course you tackle is different, so the Garmin Approach G8 not only identifies distances but also elevations, allowing you to adjust your swing and club choice accordingly.
Shooting uphill or down, every shot may present a slight variation in how you strategize your shot. This feature makes G8 becomes one of the Best Golf GPS Rangefinder in the market.
Connectivity: Separated from other members of your party? Not a problem with the Approach G8, allowing you to receive e-mails and texts to discuss the gameplay or to liaise on when and where to meet up with your group after a successful day on the links.
Club Advice: Take advantage of the Approach G8’s analytics which tracks your previous distances with each club on and offers recommendations on the best club to use based on your course performance.
This feature takes out the speculative advice from your caddy or your golf partner and gives you the best advice customized to you.
Garmin Connect Golf Community: Handy analytics and analysis of your game let you track your performance on the course, compare it to previous rounds and measure your improvement.
You can chart your progress round by round, or collaborate your findings to assemble your best scores for each hole to single out your best cumulative performance for every course.
- Convenience: With the look and feel of a mobile device, the Garmin Approach G8 is like a personal golf coach and computer that fits conveniently in your pocket on the course. The full-color format helps the player to visualize the shot before them and the large numbers are easy to read.
- Advanced analytics: It’s not only about today’s performance, but the evolution of your game. The functionality of the Approach G8 includes not only this shot but every shot you’ve ever taken to help you tighten up your game with every stroke.
- Great for beginners: Buyers who have used this product report that it was a great tool to help them attack the course with certainty, knowing that precise information and advice was provided to help them best direct their play.
- Advanced GPS: The evolution of GPS technology to this product allows you to re-assess every shot on the go, measure the success of each swing and discover more about your game than ever before.
- Touch screen sensitivity: Some buyers report that the touch screen technology, especially for a pocket-held device is sometimes problematic. Users report that the touchscreen function is sometimes overly sensitive.
- Dependency on reliable WiFi: Buyers have reported that in situations where the local WiFi network was not strong, the GPS function did not perform to expectation. However, this is less a problem with the device as it is the environment and local features.
- Non-scalable views: Some users report that the lack of scalable views, which is a routine function now with most applications on touch screen technology to enlarge or manipulate a view for better visual understanding was a frustration for them.
There is a lot of competition in the market for both handheld and wristwatch-style devices for golfers. The Garmin Approach G8 handheld device still receives top marks from the majority of buyers owing to the design and analytics of this generation of golf tech offered by Garmin.
Offering an intuitive design that is user friendly for all ages – even those who self-identify as having little exposure to other mobile technology, the G8 presents with all the tools to help one’s game.
8) IZZO Golf Swami 6000 Golf GPS Rangefinder
Izzo Golf Swami Handheld 6000 Golf GPS, Yellow, 3.75" x 2" x 1"
- Preloaded with over 38, 000 global course maps; no subscription fees & free updates
- Accurate distances to Front, Center, Back of green; Layup and Carry distances to hazards & doglegs
- Auto course recognition, Auto hole-advance, Individual shot distance measurement
- Integrated magnet for attaching to cart frame for handsfree and eye-level viewing during the round
- Digitial scorekeeper; save round scores
With over 38,000+ worldwide course maps and no annual subscription, Izzo Swami 6000 is indeed the best unit for all individuals who are searching for the best Golf GPS.
I have used several Golf GPS handhelds in the past, but I have never been interested in researching or reviewing them.
I assumed that they are just normal devices and I simply had to buy any device that suited my budget.
How wrong was I?
I decided to challenge myself, get into detail and find an affordable top-rated & Best Golf GPS Handheld that can be the best alternative to the higher-priced Golf GPS on the market.
My extensive research finally led me to Izzo Swami 6000. I realized that there is more to a Golf GPS unit.
Where this unit shined when I took it to the golf course for the first time, was in measuring the distance from the green to my location.
It was very accurate and it saved me a couple of shots when I cabbed up or down. I’m impressed with its general performance and amazing benefits.
Outstanding Features & Specifications
- Simple to Use Izzo Golf GPS is easy to operate. The large, vibrant 2-inch color display is simple to read even if it is in bright sunlight. It provides the whole number, battery level and time.
- I can read the numbers perfectly even without my reading glasses. The control buttons are also sensitive and very effective.
- Effective Course map edit function- The course map edits function allows users to reprogram front, center and back distances with ease.
- No annual subscription or computer downloads– This feature makes me feel happy with Izzo Golf GPS.
- I save the total amount that I could have otherwise spent on annual subscriptions.
- Accuracy- It provides me with more accurate distances. The short distance measurements are also provided in yards or meters.
- The unit is durable and waterproof- I use Izzo Swami 6000 in all weather conditions.
- Efficient rechargeable battery- The rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery holds the charge for long. A six to eight-hour charge can last for 2 full rounds. You can charge it from the wall or your computer’s USB port.
- A protective neoprene soft bag.
- Belt Clip which slides easily.
- AC Charger
- USB Cable
- Supports 12 different languages. These include; English, Swedish, Japanese, Chinese-S, Spanish, Chinese-T, Korean, Italian, German and French. It can, therefore, be used with a wide range of individuals from different ethnic backgrounds.
- Preloaded with over 38,000 worldwide course maps. You will just have to charge it and then you are good to go. Turn on the unit and then select the play option. The GPS unit will search for all the surrounding courses and list them.
- Izzo Swami 5000 is available at an affordable price. Even with no annual subscription fees, IZZO Golf is still offering this fantastic Golf GPS at a budget-friendly price.
- Easy to locate. The bright yellow sides enable users to locate the unit quickly and easily. This acts as a safety feature as it minimizes the chances of losing the Golf GPS.
- Auto backlight off function saves power. If you don’t touch any keys of Izzo Swami 6000 for some time, the screen will automatically turn to dark. You can also edit the backlight duration through the settings menu.
- The course map update software is not compatible with Mac devices. However, it supports Window’s devices. You can, therefore, use a Windows computer to update your course map.
- The fact that the unit doesn’t have a resume round button. If you would like to change the settings during any of your rounds, you will have to exit, make modifications and then select to play.
- The device will then re-acquire satellites and you will have to search and select your golf course again.
This amazing unit will surpass your expectations. After your purchase, you should ensure that you upgrade the software.
IZZO Golf keeps updating the course maps with time. You will never head to your favorite golf course without it.
Izzo Swami 6000 is all you need to maximize your general performance on the course.
9) Garmin Approach S10, Lightweight GPS Golf Watch 2020
Garmin Approach S10 - Lightweight GPS Golf Watch, Granite Blue, 010-02028-02
- Simple, easy-to-use golf watch
- Sleek, lightweight and comfortable with a high-resolution, Sunlight-readable display
- Provides yardages to the front, back and middle of the Green -as well as Hazards and doglegs -on more than 41, 000 preloaded courses worldwide
- Keep Score on the watch for a summary of your round, total distance played and total time
- Upload your scorecards to Garmin Express to keep track of rounds
Take some old school ideas and the wonders of modern technology and mix it with having a top game of golf and there you will find a Garmin Approach S10 GPS Golf Watch as the best golf GPS for your game.
Golfers around the world have been investing in GPS watches in an attempt to knock numbers off their handicaps, up their game and help make them make better decisions on the green.
These watches can be used in all weather conditions to help you get the most out of your game and aside from that, it is a watch so you can tell how long you have been out for!
Lastly, it is worth pointing out the charging of the watch. It comes with a USB cable so you can just pop it into your computer to charge up or there is an option of buying a wall charger if you would prefer.
Charging time is minimal so it is recommended that you disconnect it once the battery is full as leaving it in will start the battery to discharge.
- Aside from all the technology and information the Garmin Approach G10 also looks great on your wrist. It has a sleek design that is comfortable to wear either as a watch or just for playing with.
- There is an option of interchangeable bands so you can match it to your clubs and is water-resistant up to 10m, just in case you have to wade into a water-filled bunker.
- It even comes with automatic time, date and an alarm so you can program in your schedule of games that you have lined up. And just on a health note, the S10 works as an odometer so you can see how far you have walked in a day.
- There are not many disadvantages to using this watch, aside from it making you want to play golf when you should be at work.
- If ladies are wearing it then they just need to be careful of any perfumes or lotions they are wearing as it reacts with the metal and can cause some rusting of the watch due to the chemicals. It is always an idea to give it a quick rub with an alcohol wipe or glass cloth after playing just to wipe any residue away.
10)SkyCaddie SX500, Handheld Golf GPS
SkyCaddie SX500, Handheld Golf GPS
- Golf's largest & most brilliant high definition 5" touch screen
- Preloaded with over 35, 000 of sky Golf's ground-verified, error-corrected maps for unmatched accuracy. Battery - Hi-capacity rechargeable Li-Polymer battery. 12-14 hours continuous use
- Halve with integrated targets. Simply double tap or pinch & zoom to reveal up to 40 geo-referenced targets per hole for critical distances to hazards, carries & layups
- Dynamic halve rotates the fairway and orients the green from your current position and angle of Attach as you move from the tee to the green
- Cut the cord Wi-Fi connectivity to streamline updates, register & course downloads on demand. No need to connect to a computer
• Access to 35,000 courses.
• Large screen that’s easy to read, even in the sunshine.
• Course maps that have been ground verified.
• Omni-directional GPS antenna that stays locked in all terrains.
• Distances to lay-ups, bunkers, and hazards are automatically displayed as you play your game of golf.
• Ability to zoom in and out on different holes to increase your accuracy.
• Easily used with one hand only.
• It comes with the GPS unit, USB cable, belt clip, rechargeable battery, AC power adapter, and a quick start guide.
The SkyCaddie SX500 Golf GPS unit is a multifunctional GPS device that is geared for serious golfers.
You may have to put some extra time into getting used to this GPS because it is loaded with features that other units just can’t measure up to.
If you’re serious about your golf game and willing to work with the unit to make something happen, you’ll call this a golf investment that you simply couldn’t do without.
The SkyCaddie SX500 Golf GPS may be considered the most reliable golf GPS available. It has 35,000 preloaded course maps that have been ground verified so that you don’t have to worry about any incorrect information being loaded onto your unit.
The screen can be read easily even in bright sunlight because it has a TFT-LCD transflective screen. The color on this unit is brilliant and the large 5-inch screen makes it one of the easiest units to read outside – even in the sun.
On top of offering all of the features that you would regularly expect from a golf GPS unit, the SkyCaddie SX500 Golf GPS comes with high-tech features that cannot be found anywhere else.
SkyCaddie is the only GPS company that verifies the course maps by walking every course. You can trust what you see on the screen every time you play a hole.
SkyCaddie has also developed IntelliGreen, which is a patented technology that gives you an eagle-eye view of every green on the course.
This graphic can also be rotated to see the front, back and the depth of the green from the angle of your approach.
You’ll also be able to connect with clubSG, which is an interactive group that allows you to learn more about golf courses, store and sync your golfing data and gives you a personal performance database to keep track of your statistics.
The SkyCaddie does require a membership to have access to the information. This membership has a starting price of $29.95 per year. However, Skycaddie SX500 comes with a one-year free subscription.
Serious golfers consider this an investment and are willing to pay this amount for the added features offered only by the SkyGolf company.
If you’re looking for a higher-end golf GPS unit to accurately measure distances and get a birds-eye view of the course, the SkyCaddie SX500 Golf GPS can easily be considered one of the top performers.
Amazon Top Rated Golf GPS Watches & Devices In 2020
|1||Garmin Approach S20, GPS Golf Watch with Step...||781 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
|2||Garmin Approach S10 - Lightweight GPS Golf Watch,...||115 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
|3||Bushnell Phantom Golf GPS||208 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
|4||GolfBuddy Voice 2 Golf GPS/Rangefinder||816 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
|5||Garmin Approach S60, Premium GPS Golf Watch with...||178 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
Best Golf GPS Rangefinder Buyer’s Guide.
What Is A Golf GPS Rangefinder?
A GPS device is a global positioning system that uses exchanges of satellite data to provide information on the location of the device and other locations in its vicinity. It is used in several applications for locating, navigating or analyzing geographical space.
A golf GPS uses this same data to provide information on the location and surroundings on and around a golf course to help the player improve his or her game.
Golf GPS devices are used to assist the player by offering information about the environment that he or she would likely not have without it.
Finding distances and subsequently choosing through clubs can be difficult, but a golf GPS unit makes this process much easier. They are especially helpful for playing on new courses with which you may be unfamiliar, but they also work for those just looking to improve their scores.
Unlike many other forms of GPS devices, golf GPS systems are meant to be kept on your person and carried around during golf play. Golf GPS units are available in both handheld and watch styles to suit the various needs of many players.
- Providing quick and easy readings
- Providing the ability to get close distances to targets without seeing them
- Some models provide recommendations on club selection or force needed for stroke execution
- The ability to sync and add more courses or edit existing ones when needed
- The growing database of course data that puts information right in players’ hands
- Some models offer scorecards and statistics tracking
- Assisting players on unfamiliar courses
- Readings are not affected by dark conditions at dusk or dawn.
- Some golf GPS models may require monthly, annual, lifetime or per-course fees in addition to those that come with purchasing or maintaining the device.
- The best-rated golf GPS units will likely cost up to $250 or more.
- The accuracy of the device, the number of included courses or the number of available distances may depend on the manufacturer of a particular model.
- The user may be required to set the device up, download courses or install the software.
- Golf GPS units can be less accurate than laser rangefinders when it comes to open line-of-sight measurements.
Types of Golf GPS Rangefinders
GPS Golf Watch:-
A sports watch with a GPS capability is one form of a GPS a golfer can use for different purposes around the golf course.
The golf watch usually bigger than the normal standard watch, but it can be worn daily.
It helps to eliminate the cases of a golfer carrying much equipment that could tell the information about the golf course.
This watch can easily get updates on the golf course from an Internet connection and keep the golfer on the winning track again.
GPS Golf Handheld Devices:-
Garmin Approach G series and IZZO Golf acts as another type of golf GPS device. It is a handheld device that can tell the golfer the distance between him and other features on the course.
You can download your course information from a computer to the GPS. The information provided by this handheld device is quite accurate.
The golf GPS device is important to the type of device to provide all the information needed by golfers when going to different countries to play golf.
The device can work with the worldwide measurements that can change from yards to meters. The devices are easily portable, making most golfers love them.
You could now use your smartphone to act as a golf GPS device. The smartphone now has the capability of providing accurate information needed by golfers.
All you have to do is download the GPS information directly to the smartphone and you are good to go.
Advantages of Using Golf GPS Rangefinders
The GPS systems have helped many golfers to effectively play and enjoy different types of golf courses. Here are more advantages of why golfers would like to get a GPS device.
- The system offers quick and simple readings that are easy to read
- The GPS devices assist the players to be even on the unfamiliar greens
- Helps to show the distances in inches for the targets that are out of sight
- It can sync with other devices to update the course information
- Some models have the capability of tracking the scores and statistics
- The GPS devices should offer information on the stroke execution recommendation
Golf GPS VS Laser Rangefinders
Both devices offer benefits to the player, and both present limitations compared to the other as well. The differences between each type may affect the way an individual golfer can play.
GPS units are programmed to detect the locations of various features on the golf course and subsequently compute and provide distance data based on this information.
A GPS device may cost anywhere from $100 to $400, and many come with additional membership costs or subscription fees to update course information.
In contrast, laser rangefinders measure the distance from the unit to an object based on the time it takes the rangefinder’s laser beam to reflect off of the object.
The downside compared to GPS units is the fact that user faults may affect the results of the reading while the distances given by GPS devices are already provided.
Laser rangefinders can cost between $200 and $500, and they do not require subsequent membership or subscription fees. In this way, rangefinders may be considered superior to GPS devices.
The distance to any object on the golf course can be found using a rangefinder while GPS units usually only provide distances to pre-selected points on the green.
Rangefinders offer the ability to measure distances to other players to determine if others on the course are out of range while GPS units can provide aerial views of each hole when on an unfamiliar course.
Rangefinders are easy to operate and only require you to aim the device and fire it, but a GPS may require you to set it up, download software, and then install it for some courses.
Once on the course, you still may be required to find the appropriate hole after the unit detects the course. Once the GPS unit is ready, the device is easy to operate with data that is immediately available.
A concern with GPS devices is the fact that distances are only provided for some features if the manufacturer decides to include them.
The user can position the cursor to find specific objects, but the accuracy of the distance results may depend upon the user’s skill in placing the cursor in the right position.
A concern with laser rangefinders is the difficulty that can come from attempting to measure targets at long distances that do not have pins or other reflective surfaces.
It can also be harder to return accurate readings on features such as sand and water due to their horizontal position, and the laser’s performance may decline in poor weather conditions.
Why should you buy a golf GPS?
Buying a golf GPS offers you multiple benefits whether the golf GPS is a stripped-back model or the detailed one. Why should you have a golf GPS?
They offer quick and simple information
Every kind of golf GPS offers the primary role of providing you with the yards distances. They offer you the exact distance that you are away from the center. The information is displayed quickly and is easy to interpret.
Ease of Use
Whether you are away from the golf GPS all you need is to turn it on and come back to the yard. Even for you who fear technological technicality, it is very easy to use golf GPS. What other devices may be that simpler anyway? Speeds up play.
If you are a real golfer, you must have watched the masters. You will agree with me that anything that makes the gameplay faster is a great thing. Using golf GPS offers you that glance leaving you with the sole decision to select a club.
Accurate distance measurement
This includes the distance from the beginning to the end of the yard as well as the length of the hole. Additionally, you can also record the distance to the hazards, distance to fronts as well as to the back and center of the green.
These measurements are very accurate and useful and above all save a lot of time. You don’t have to guess any measurement when you have a golf GPS, do you?
Gain more confidence
Being aware of your yard distance gives you added confidence before hitting the next yard.
You don’t have to worry about a three-quarter shot. This alleviates fear and tension allowing you to swing better when playing.
Useful for wayward shots
This involves situations where the green is behind trees. How do you know the exact distance to the green? It would be hard to have an accurate shot without a line of sight.
The golf GPS comes to rescue you from that to have a better, accurate shot.
Reduces handicap as well as shoot lower scores
People who have used the golf GPS can tell you that they experienced shaved shots off their rounds since starting using a golf GPS. Quite reasonably, the golf GPS alleviates tension resulting in a better score.
Enjoy your game
Imagine having a device that provides every detail of the game. All you have to do is do the interpretation and play. Isn’t that nice? You end up playing well and consequently enjoy playing even more.
Analyze your round
This comes after playing a certain game. You can go back to the device and learn a thing or two about the pitch and the statistics of the game for a better game next time.
You get to know the furthest and the closest you heat the golf ball with every club
Those who have used the gadget admit that it can be a humbling experience in that you may have a wrong impression of the ball movement and distance covered.
However, the gadget can provide the correct data for the distance covered.
Tips for buying the best golf GPS in 2020
If you are going to buy the best golf GPS watch or handheld device, there are several things to keep in mind.
This is all to ensure that you get the best GPS that will make your gaming experience better.
Buying the best golf GPS may be a challenge if are not careful. You may end up making the wrong selection.
However, Here are some of the important considerations to put in mind.
The main reason for opting to use a GPS is to attain accuracy on every shot you take on all golf courses & to ensure that you get the location accurately on the golf course.
It is, therefore, crucial to have a GPS device that is updated with the latest technology to ensure accuracy.
The device must have the capability to pick up the correct satellite information and updating the golf course whenever something new is added.
Choose the device that has modern technology for better and accurate results.
The display size is likely to differ from one company to another. From many golf GPS reviews, you are likely to find that the display size can vary a lot.
You need to pick the right display that is easy to read based on your eyesight. Pick a GPS watch that can be easy to read the numbers even in direct sunlight.
The different companies manufacture golf GPSs that have different display sizes. Choose the display that is easy to read.
Ease of Use
As much as golfers are demanding new features each day, they also need a watch that they can operate easily.
A number of these GPS systems are quite easy to operate and any newbie can use them.
Take the time to go through several different gadgets to see whether they are good and easy to use at the same time.
The ease of use comes in handy when a person is playing on new courses that need regular use of GPS.
Despite looking for a golf GPS that has as many features as possible, you need to choose the device that is easy to operate.
The best golf GPS can even be operated by a newbie.
The basic GPS is supposed to provide the distance between different points. However, most manufacturers will have some unique features to their watches that make them different.
Such additional features are what people look for in a GPS unit.
Check to see if the newly added features are important to help you have an advantage over the other golfers with different watches.
Some common additional features include scorekeeping, aerial flyovers, and tracking stats.
It should also provide the distance of the point. However, different producers manufacture different features that are unique from each other.
You should check a device that has added features like scorekeeping and tracking statistics.
The manufacturers will require that you get a membership when buying their device. The membership program is meant to allow the members to download the latest courses to their devices.
This gives you time to study the actual course, plan a strategy before the actual day. You need to choose a membership plan that you can easily afford. Expect to find variant subscription fees based on the features you get per plan.
The battery life of a golf GPS device is quite important. From any golf GPS reviews, it is easy to see the duration a GPS can last on its battery.
The battery drainage is likely to be affected by the manner in how the device is used.
Any frequent golfer would want a device with longer battery life to serve the whole game.
This is a chief factor to consider while buying a golf GPS. However, how frequently you use a device determines how the battery drains fast.
It would be very bad if the device ran out of power in the middle of the game.
Every brand will produce golf GPSs that have the features to suit the customers, but the quality is what matters most.
Some brand names such as Garmin Golf GPS have been proven to produce quality.
Your budget determines the quality of a GPS that you will acquire. Cheap products may offer good service at first but don’t last long.
Try to buy a good product at an added price to avoid maintenance costs and low quality.
Before buying the best golf GPS check what customers say about the device.
You get to know the best one helping you to make an informed decision. The best customer reviews to check are the Amazon reviews.
Few more Important Tips to Consider when Buying a Golf GPS Rangefinders
When buying a golf GPS device, it is important to have some of the following tips to ensure whatever you are buying is worth your money.
Sometimes people end up having problems with their watches only because they could not take the time to review what the watch has to offer.
By the time you are done with these tips, you should be in a position to find the best device based on your golfing needs.
Read all the Golf GPS Reviews articles
The review of any device is important to ensure you have the right device.
Sometimes the manufacturers are likely to over hype their products to make sure that they sell. From reviews, it is quite easy to see why many people would choose a different golf GPS rangefinder.
The reviews always show the advantages and disadvantages to expect from a device.
Additional unique features
There are those features that are common to all the GPS rangefinders; however, some might be unique to a certain company.
There is the need to know what are the unique features you are getting from a particular model. You can assess the main benefits of having such features.
Sometimes you might have additional features, but they are not of any use.
Occasionally, the additional features are meant to help you stay ahead of the competition at all times. If the unique features are great, you can go ahead and get them.
The types of stores selling the watch
The types of online stores selling GPS watches must be reliable.
Sometimes you can buy a watch and when it is delivered, it is quite different from what you expected. It is crucial to look at the reviews of the store to see what people say about it.
Also, choose stores that have been around for years so as you can be sure of the quality and store reliability.
The store has to deliver the watch right on time to get in the books of the best online store.
Shop around for better prices
Sometimes it is just better to shop around to see if you can get the best prices. This applies to both online and offline stores.
Each store is likely to have a different price based on what they are offering in terms of quality watches and discounts too.
The best part of having online stores is that you can move from one store to another easily.
The same cannot be said for the traditional stores where you have to walk from building to building. The online stores provide an easy way to find the best golf GPS devices.
Shopping during the hot seasons or holidays
It seems like a custom in most stores where you can easily get discounts and offers on different products when it is time for the holidays. This is also a great time for you to get yourself a new golf watch.
Remember that the prices are likely to go up as soon as the holidays are over. You could still subscribe to the store’s newsletter for any updates.
Whenever the store is running a promotion, it will send you a list of different offers you can expect from them. This way, you still stay updated on some offers given by the stores.
Golf GPS Rangefinder FAQs
Should I buy a handheld or a watch GPS unit?
The type of GPS model you buy will not necessarily determine how successfully it will improve your golf game. The type of GPS devices that are available provides a variety for each player’s needs. Some golfers want a larger screen to view information while some look for portability and smaller size.
Is using a GPS device during play a violation of regulations?
Using a GPS device during recreational play is permitted in handicap scoring. It is important to check individual regulations for each event for professional or USGA sanctioned events. Distance measuring devices may be permitted by Local Rule.
What extra features should I look for on a high-end model?
Many high-quality GPS units offer exceptional features compared to those with just the basic characteristics. Some models offer all of the best features, but many will feature some and lack others.
The best golf watch may possess features including course recognition, hole advance, digital scorecards or layup distances.
How long will my batteries last on my device?
The battery life for your GPS unit will vary by model. The duration your batteries last will depend upon the frequency with which you use the device or how you use it when on the course.
It is generally accepted that most watch units will last longer when switched to watch mode.
Where should I put my GPS when I’m playing?
If you have a larger unit, it is best to keep it away in a pocket, bag or other enclosure to keep it safe from falls and the environmental elements. Smaller units not kept on a wristband can be clipped to the hat, pocket or belt to keep them out of the way but still in reach.
Where Should You Buy a Golf GPS?
There are various sources available from which you may buy golf GPS devices. Knowing where to buy the right GPS unit can be as hard as being able to choose between units. It can be helpful to purchase your unit at sporting goods stores in your area.
This allows you to test out each unit or compare models to one another. Buying online can also be a helpful choice if you need a cheap golf GPS unit. Buying online from Amazon.com allows you to view some of the most popular and efficient golf GPS devices on the market.
Buying this way also allows you to take advantage of reduced prices compared to buying from sporting goods stores, and some prices go even lower during periods of the week.
We hope from this golf GPS reviews article, you should be in a position to identify the Best Golf GPS Rangefinder in the market at the moment.
In the end, you can now know what are some of the things to consider when going to buy the GPS device.
You always have to be alert when buying such devices to avoid cases of being scammed.
All the brands highlighted here are quite important when it comes to offering quality products. Many golfers recommend these products since they have used them already.
Now you have a better understanding of what a golf GPS device is all about, go ahead and buy your favorite GPS device now.
You should always combine design and functionality. Try to keep all the tips above into consideration when buying a golf GPS to land the best device.
Amazon Hot New Golf GPS Watches & Devices in 2020
|Garmin Approach S62, Premium Golf GPS Watch,...||No ratings yet||Check on Amazon|
|Garmin Approach S62, Premium Golf GPS Watch,...||No ratings yet||Check on Amazon|
|Golf Buddy Voice X GPS/Rangefinder Watch Bundle||No ratings yet||Check on Amazon|
|SkyCaddie Golf SGX GPS Rangefinder, Manufacturer...||No ratings yet||Check on Amazon|
|bang boom USB Charging Cord for Izzo Golf Swami...||No ratings yet||Check on Amazon|