Best Golf Wedges For Spin 2021: Enrich Your Short Game With The Right Wedges
Want to know which are the best Golf Wedges for spin of 2023? While every player knows the significance of playing a crisp short game and the ensuing round outcome not all of them give the wedges much thought.
But make no mistake; the right wedge can turn your game around when you are at the end of your tether.
Here is a list of the popular wedges for you to peruse and find one that suits your gameplay precisely.
Table of Contents
- Best Golf Wedges For Spin:- Our lineup
- Titleist Vokey SM6 Tour Chrome Wedge Sand SW 56 14 Deg Bounce F Grind True Temper XP 90 R300 Steel Regular Right Handed 35.5 in
- Cleveland Golf Men's RTX-3 Wedge, Right Hand, Steel, 52 Degree, Black Satin
- Cobra King
- 2018 Cobra King Black Wedge (Men's Right Hand, Steel, Wedge Flex, Versatile Grind, 56.0 Degree)
- Recommended Products
- Callaway Golf Mack Daddy Forged Wedge Nickel Chrome with Copper Strike, Left Hand, Steel, 35" Length, Wedge Flex, 60 degrees
- Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP MRH 56
- Mizuno Golf Men's T7 Blue Ion Wedge
- PING Glide 2.0 Wedge
- YONEX N1-W Forged Wedge RH 50 8 Steel Wedge
- TaylorMade Milled Grind Wedge Black (Right Hand, Black Finish, Standard Bounce, 56° Loft,12° Bounce)
- What Affects Spin Most on Wedges?
- Best Wedges for High-Spin Shots
- Best Golf Wedges For Spin 2021:- Conclusion
Amazon Top Rated Golf Wedges In 2021
|1||C3i Wedge - Ultimate Sand Wedge, Lob Wedge for Men...||39 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
|2||Pinemeadow Pre 3 Wedge Pack (Right-Handed, Steel,...||122 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
|3||LAZRUS Premium Forged Golf Wedge Set for Men - 52...||No ratings yet||Check on Amazon|
|4||Square Strike Wedge - 45° Pitching & Chipping...||1 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
|5||Cleveland Golf 2018 Men's CBX Wedge 56 Degree...||No ratings yet||Check on Amazon|
Best Golf Wedges For Spin:- Our lineup
Most golfers know that bounce angle plays a crucial role in wedge selection but not many understand the real concept behind the bounce angle.
Although in simple terms it denotes the angle between the ground and leading edge of a wedge and the trailing edge.
But the bounce angle is a more complex component. The loft variations in the wedges add another important dimension to the selection.
Other than the loft and bounce, wedges differ in their weight, shapes, groove design, finish, and sole types.
With so many options available today, finding the right model can be quite overwhelming. The right blend of sole grinds, bounce angles, and lofts can get you out of a tough situation deftly.
We have lined up the best Golf Wedges for spin 2023 to help make your selection easier.
SM6 Family (Titleist Vokey)
Titleist Vokey SM6 Tour Chrome Wedge Sand SW 56 14 Deg Bounce F Grind True Temper XP 90 R300 Steel Regular Right Handed 35.5 in
- Titleist Golf Clubs Vokey SM6 Tour Chrome F Grind Wedge
When compared to its predecessor SM5, the SM6 Vokey features some exciting additions like progressive CG (center of gravity) to give better trajectory distance control and exceptional touch.
Spin is excellently delivered at 200 rpm with the aid of face texture and TX4 grooves. Deeper and narrower grooves provide the spin needed for the full shots.
The wedges are available in three finishes namely Steel Gray, Tour Chrome, and Jet black. The five types of sole grinds make the model suitable for all shot and swing preferences.
Cleveland Golf Men's RTX-3 Wedge, Right Hand, Steel, 52 Degree, Black Satin
- Patent-pending feel balancing technology - nine grams of mass are removed from the hosel and redistributed to the wedge head for a center of Gravity closer to the impact zone
- V sole grinds add shot consistency and control - three Tour-proven grinds feature a V shape with more leading edge bounce to help the club head through the turf faster at impact for crisper feel and more consistent performance
- New Rotex face increases spin - the third-generation rtx face features a refined groove shape, a new Rotex micro-milling pattern engineered to optimize spin performance by loft, and laser milling
Of the 10 most popular wedges here, Cleveland RTX deserves special mention for its meticulous design. The wedge enables a player to make shots with minimal vibration, enhanced stability and feel, and good distance control.
The New Feel Balancing tech modifies the club’s center of gravity resulting in a very smooth short game.
Other outstanding features in the wedge include V-shaped sole, Tour Zip Grooves, and Laser Milling Tech which boost turf interaction, prevent fliers and increase spin by added friction in the greenside shots.
2018 Cobra King Black Wedge (Men's Right Hand, Steel, Wedge Flex, Versatile Grind, 56.0 Degree)
- Demonized Black Metal (Plated 8620 Carbon Steel)-Cobra's most durable satin black finish ever. DBM provides extreme resistance to wear for longer lasting, better looking wedges
- 100% CNC milled faces & grooves-cnc milling creates highly accurate grooves for consistent spin across the entire spin across the entire face
- Variable face roughness-cobra patented CNC milling technique delivers optimized surface roughness across the face to maximize spin and control for more precise shots around the green
- Progressive spin technology-wider Shallower grooves in the weaker lofts and narrower, tighter spaced grooves in the stronger lofts deliver consistent trajectories between lofts
- 3 Wedge Grinds: Versatile, Classic, Widelow-3 wedge grinds available in select lofts allow you to enjoy more versatility from a variety of lies and turf conditions around the green
This wedge designed with Tour characteristics involves three types of sole designs namely wide-low, versatile and classic. The sole designs cater to different player styles ensuring it covers a wide range of players.
The wedge has special features including progressive grooves that limit backspin and boost flight. For wedges with higher loft, the grooves are placed closer to increase spin control in chip shots.
Mack Daddy Forged (Callaway)
Callaway Golf Mack Daddy Forged Wedge Nickel Chrome with Copper Strike, Left Hand, Steel, 35" Length, Wedge Flex, 60 degrees
- Exceptional control from signature shaping and progressive CG - beautiful new shape and progressive CG locations to promote a lower, more controllable trajectory in the higher lofts
- More spin from new 16 groove configuration - new 16-groove configuration incorporates an added groove near the leading edge for more spin, especially on pitches and chips
- Increased versatility from new gear will grind - a defined crescent sole creates more precision shot-making options in the short game, especially on half shots and off of tight lies
- Forged of soft 1025C steel for great feel and consistency. Choice of two finishes: nickel chrome with Copper strike for a refined look, brushed slate for a raw look
- Equipped with true temper's dynamic gold Tour issue shaft - #1 wedge shaft on Tour - and Lamkin's custom-designed UTX grip for great feel, traction and control
Created for the seasoned golfer, Callaway Mack Daddy wedges have features such as straight leading edge and less offset, which enhance precision in your shots.
The crescent sole grind, square sole and mid bounce angle make it easier to play greenside shots. Shots from tighter lies and half shots are also stress-free to execute.
Ball flight is controlled at higher loft angles without affecting the spin by the progressive gravitational center, which moves with loft angle increase.
FG Tour PMP (Wilson Staff)
Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP MRH 56
- Precision milled performance: maximum Volume HM grooves for spin on full shots, laser etched micro spin lines for increased spin on partial shots on a perfectly flat milled face for consistency
- Traditional, Tour grind or wide sole designs, plus three finish options - Tour frosted, oil can and raw, allow for a huge number of possible combinations with numerous loft and bounce options
- Kbs hi-rev 2.0 shaft: delivers a higher ball launch angle with increased spin for added stopping power, control and accuracy
This wedge set with PMP (Precision Milled Performance) produces maximum spin on all partial shots. The spin lines are micro-sized and etched using laser technology.
The HM grooves with maximum volume provide an improved spin on the full shots. The wedges are available in a new oilcan finish.
Mizuno Golf Men's T7 Blue Ion Wedge
|Product Type Name||GOLF_CLUB|
|Title||Mizuno Golf Men's T7 Blue Ion Wedge|
Mizuno T7 wedges have Boron added to boost strength and improve spin control. The grooves are specific for each loft angle helps in making stronger full shots in the pitching wedges, while the grooves in higher lofts are used for open-faced shots.
The visible grinds enable shots from different types of lies introducing an improved versatility to the wedges.
PING Glide 2.0 Wedge
- Soft, 431 Stainless Steel construction creates buttery feel while generating a higher strength/weight ratio for higher MOI
- Loft-specific Precision Milled Grooves ensure nearly identical pitch and full shot performance in wet and dry conditions
- Hydropearl Chrome club head finish lowers the friction between the turf and club for more control
- Thin, tapered hosel design glides through the sand and high grass better for improved performance
- Dylawedge grip is longer and features softer shaft tapering for more control when gripping down
Ping Glide wedges boast of tour spec and precision-milled grooves that differ in configuration and design based on the loft. The hydropearl chrome layer in the finish repels water retaining the effective spin control in all types of wet conditions.
The wedges have four types of sole grinds and widths namely thin sole and low bounce, standard sole with mid bounce, a wide sole with high bounce, and Eye Sole with an 8-degree bounce angle.
Tribe MDR (Benross)
Benross wedges features including higher hosel length, CNC grooves, Wedge shaft of KBS Tour grade, and steel finish with plated carbon are the reasons for the wedge to be added in this top 10 most popular wedges list. The wedge enables better flight control and strong, long, and full pitch shots.
N1-W wedge (Yonex)
YONEX N1-W Forged Wedge RH 50 8 Steel Wedge
|Catalog Number List||Catalog Number List Element: ERN0951_001|
|EAN List||EAN List Element: 0008235221238|
|Item Dimensions||Height: 400; Length: 3900; Weight: 300; Width: 500|
|Package Dimensions||Height: 400; Length: 3900; Width: 500|
|Product Type Name||GOLF_CLUB_WEDGE|
|Title||YONEX N1-W Forged Wedge RH 50 8 Steel Wedge|
|UPC List||UPC List Element: 008235221238|
The Yonex wedges feature minimal vibration thanks to the graphite insert designed behind the clubface. The wedge has a three-dimensional round sole for minimal turf interaction.
While you get more vibration on impact, it reduces quickly when compared to other competitor wedges providing a superior feel. The shaft is of N.S. Pro Modus variety and is a standard feature in all the Yonex wedges.
Milled Grind (TaylorMade)
TaylorMade Milled Grind Wedge Black (Right Hand, Black Finish, Standard Bounce, 56° Loft,12° Bounce)
- CNC Machined sole geometry and a precise leading edge promote consistent turf interaction
- New ZTP-17 groove features steeper side walls and sharper edge radius for maximum spin
- Precision weight port moves 10g for an optimal CG location, providing a lower launch angle and increased spin RATE
- 8620 carbon steel for soft feel
This milled grind wedge set from TaylorMade specializes in versatility and improved turf interaction. The symmetrical and rounded leading edge and CNC sole geometry promote consistency in turf interaction.
Other exceptional features include ZTP-17 grooves and Precision Weight Port in the hosel cavity for improved spin and better angle of launch.
What Affects Spin Most on Wedges?
Every golfer wants to be the one that hits the perfect wedge shot like one of the PGA Tour pro golfers.
Everyone stops breathing in anticipation as the ball lands on the green just past the hole, skips forward, and then whizzes directly into the hole.
This is when the applauding starts.
You are allowed to feel proud because not many golfers can do this. Very few actually understand what is needed to create the perfect spin.
In this article, we are going to have a look at various aspects that will help you to improve your wedge spins shots and impress your friends.
If you have been playing golf for some time you already know some of the things we are going to explain.
But, for all intent and purposes, we want to look at this from every angle so that those starting out will also understand the sport and terms better.
Once you hit the ball, the resulting amount of spin is referred to as the spin rate. The height and distance of the shot are strongly influenced by the spin rate on solid contact of the club and the ball.
Conditions Affecting Spin
It is important to understand what conditions will affect the spin. Some things you cannot control so keep expectations real in terms of the shot. Try to adjust your shot accordingly and if possible.
· Downwind shots are tricky in obtaining good back
· Higher spin is caused when the wind is blowing against you
· Backspin on wedge shots are more difficult to achieve when the greens are firm
· This is applicable as well when playing as shot from deep roughs
Golf Equipment and The Spin
It is necessary to look at what is needed to achieve the desired spin using a wedge.
· The compression of the golf ball will directly affect the spin of the ball of wedge shots
· More spin when the compression of the ball is high and less so at a lower compression
· It is advisable to invest in premium balls if possible
· The lie of the ball is important
· Ensure that there is little or no grass behind the ball
· Higher spin is created by more surface of the ball exposed to the clubface
Wedges are intended for hitting the ball as high as possible so that it lands softly on the green. They are not meant for shots that require distance. It is recommended to choose a versatile wedge.
Features of the wedge:
· Made of iron
· Heaviest club head
· Highest loft
· Shortest shaft
They usually come in two different versions. The first is a wedge that is part of the manufacturer’s iron range set. and the second is specialty wedges.
As the name suggests, these wedges are specifically designed for a particular use.
Sole grinds and grooves of the specialty wedge that increase spin and are ideal for partial shots around the green.
Other Things Affects Spin Most on Wedges.
There are various things in regards to your wedge that can impact the spin.
· Optimal spin requires grooves to be fresh
· The newer the wedge the more spin is created
· Top edges of the groove that come into with the ball most to the amount of friction
· Friction is lost due to wear and tear making grooves left effective
· Frequent players will need to replace their wedges every season or two
· If you participate in tournaments, do not use groove sharpening tools as your wedges can be disqualified due to non-conformity
· Like tire grooves, grooves on wedges channel debris away from the face
· Grooves may bite into the ball but it is not at all as extensive as believed
· For many golfers more spin will be created with a higher loft
· This is true for up to 56* using the average angle of attack
· Angle of contact must be calculated
· Shots must be within a certain spin loft range to be most effective
· Example: A 56-degree sand wedge creates more spin than a 60-degree lob wedge
· Rule of thumb is to clean your wedges between shots even when practicing
· Spin will be reduced if there is dirt or grass on your wedge face and grooves
· Same applies to other debris like Vaseline, oil, or dust
· Sand from a bunker shot is the exception as it actually aids spin
· Ensure that your wedges remain as dry as possible in wet conditions
· Decreased friction is caused by moisture which results in a low spin rate
Common Misconceptions In Regards to What Affects Spin Most on Wedges
There are many things that players think affect the spin rate that don’t. Here are the myth busters.
· A common misconception is face milling improves spin when in fact it only evens out the face
· Milling the edges roughen the face
· Uneven edges from castings can be flattened out
· Face Milling can be very fine or very deep
· Wedges that are forged do not require milling as flatness is pressed in the face
· This has no effect whatsoever on spin
· Simply used to reduce glare
· Cosmetic – Improves the appearance of clubs
Here we will have a look at techniques during play that will aid you in obtaining maximum spin.
· The faster you swing the clubhead the more friction you create upon contact with the ball
· Left Position – Lean left and positioned weight on a front (left) leg
· Lean in towards your target with your upper body – encourages steep swing
· Open Stance – Steep swing odds can be improved through an open stance and precise contact. This will also decrease lateral movement and restriction of length of the backswing
· Swing upright during backswing in Left Position as described above ensuring restricted body motion
· Don’t let your arms swing behind or around you – keep to the front
· Finish off strong – On impact, your trailing arm (right) go around your leading (left arm)
· Prevent this and scooping by swiveling your entire right side which also increases velocity
Best Wedges for High-Spin Shots
Good for: Those who spend a lot of time in the bunkers.
Many have said that this is an excellent performing sand wedge, so much so that they begin to look forward to landing in a bunker.
This wedge will put a good backspin on the ball and help you shoot straighter and farther.
This one has been a favorite of ours for some time, and it still sits atop the 2016 wedge tree.
One of the best short-game wands when it comes to spin, whether you want your ball to waltz on the dance floor from 120 yards, or check and zip from 20 yards.
The wedge also just happens to be as sexy as they come with its classic head shape – something very few brands can rival.
Cleveland Golf is known for outstanding wedges, and this wrench does not disappoint. The best wedge in the company’s history – but we hear there is more to come!
Another wedge we have been raving about for a solid six months now. Boasting a striking blue finish, the S5 sticks out among its competitors.
Varying depths of grooves through the set provided superb spin rates, whether we were hitting full or partial shots.
Its mid-size profile was to our liking, and we enjoyed the buttery forged feel on offer. As always, nothing feels like a Mizuno.
Nike Engage wedges
Wielded by Rory McIlroy, the Engage wedge comes in three sole grinds. We particularly enjoyed its performance around the greens and we felt it got through the turf with ease, while also offering us control.
The only slight negative for us was its appearance behind the ball – it is a little chunky in comparison to some of the others. Definitely worth consideration though.
The latest wedge from TaylorMade features the brand’s most aggressive grooves, which offered us heaps of spin on all shots.
It proved one of the longer wrenches in our test, but not quite as consistent as some of the others.
We love the head shape and its chic aesthetic, though, and we felt as though we could manipulate the trajectory with ease.
Titleist Vokey SM6
“These are the best wedges we’ve ever made,” said Bob Vokey. You heard the man. The center of gravity (CG) has been realigned behind the impact position, and this aided our control, trajectory, and distance.
From all surfaces and lies, we felt in complete control of our Pro V1 and we were able to manipulate our spin rates with ease.
We also salivated over its darkened finish and traditional head shape.
Available in a large variety of grinds to suit every golfer, the SM6 is a nailed-on gold star.
Williams Double U Wedge
Making the most of Formula One technology, the new Williams wedge offers distance and a soft feel when struck from the sweet spot.
Its spin rates on full and partial shots remained consistent throughout the test.
It is a little on the chunky side of things which was not necessarily to our taste, and if you stray from the sweet spot, there is not a great deal of help.
A little bland in appearance and head shape in comparison to the more established wedge makers, but a decent opening wedge from Williams.
Sole Designs: Thanks to Micro Spin Lines, there are heaps of spin on offer in the FG Tour PMP wedge. There are up to 95 options available through the custom fitting, with three grinds on offer and a sexy blue finish.
It has a naturally high ball flight, thanks to its KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 shaft – something we adore – and it also produces buckets of feedback.
Perhaps a tad heavier than the others, but a strong performing wedge from Wilson. Definitely worth a closer look.
Best Golf Wedges For Spin 2021:- Conclusion
While you are choosing the ideal wedge, make sure you know the present wedge yardages and the frequency at which you find yourself in between wedges, so you can opt for additional wedges.
And choose a bounce angle based on your specific attack angle, the fairway texture, and the shots you like to hit on the green side.
There have been quite a number of modifications done with regards to grooves to improve spin and control, which you should bear in mind while choosing the wedges.
Now that you have seen the Best Golf Wedges For Spin in 2021, you can decide on the wedge that suits your needs the best.