Best Golf GPS And Handheld Devices 2020 Review
Are you a golfer who uses estimation to record your distances? Leave the guestimation thing and start recording accurate data.
That sounds awesome, right? The golf GPS are either handheld or smartphone-sized while some can even be worn on the wrist like watches.
The laser rangefinders are used by the golfers who want to attain short distances.
They are more like the higher spec handheld golf GPS.
- However, these don’t offer detailed data of the hole as well as green surrounds.
- However, they are hard to use when the flag is hidden or even when the hazards are behind trees.
Golf GPS handhelds are suitable to the serious golfers. They offer a posterior view of the hole also.
- These offer more details and are ideal if the golfer plays different courses. You can also save your score on the GPS handhelds.
Golf GPS watch comes with multiple features such as hazards, doglegs, and you can also pair your phone with the watches to receive updates.
- They are easy to use and observe.
Best Golf GPS And Handheld Devices 2020 List
1) Garmin Approach S20, GPS Golf Watch with Step Tracking
Garmin Approach S20, GPS Golf Watch with Step Tracking, Preloaded Courses, Black
- AUTOSHOT - Round analyzer measures shot distances with auto-recording for post-round analysis on your Garmin Connect account
- STYLISH COMFORT - Fully-hinged, sleek watchband design with comfortable fit. Display resolution: 128 x 128 pixels
- TRUSWING COMPATIBLE - When paired, Garmin TruSwing golf swing sensor provides metrics to improve your swing consistency. Display size: 0.9 x 0.9(inches)
- ACTIVITY TRACKING - Reminds you to stay active on or off the course with move bar alerts. Displays steps, calories burned, distance and time of day, plus it monitors hours of sleep.
- STAT TRACKING - Enhanced stats keeps track of fairways hit, greens in regulation and putts per round
If you want to take the guesswork out of your golf game, you want to have the tool that picks up where coaching from your golf pro leaves off.
With attention to the precise distance and direction of your next shot, you have the opportunity to take strokes off every round on the course over the coming golf season.
The Garmin Approach S20 GPS Golf Watch is the device that can help to get you there.
You can gain confidence on every course, even if it’s your first visit with the features and analytics of the Garmin Approach S20.
Outstanding Feature & Specification
Autoshot: Its autoshot feature automatically records and measures the shot distance for post round analysis on Garmin connect account.
Pre-loaded course maps: With more than 40,000 courses pre-loaded and a map view for every hole and GPS technology which places and tracks you as you make your way through the course you know exactly where you are every time and your distance to the green on each shot.
Customized Distances: The Garmin Approach S20 Golf Watch also calculates the distances for the front, back and center of the green to allow for a range that will put you within putting distance.
This is particularly helpful for monitoring hazards and bunkers along the course to try to avoid those hazards.
Stay connected: With connectivity to your smart phone, the Approach S20 allows you to stay in touch with the rest of your party with synced e-mails and text messages received directly on the watch.
Scorekeeper: Go paperless on the course knowing that the Approach S20 is keeping track of your performance for you.
With analytics that go straight to your computer, you can print or share your overall score or keep track of the individual strokes and consistently monitor your progress to measure the progress in your game play.
Quick and convenient: With a bold display and touch screen access, as well as one button green view functionality, the S20 is a user-friendly device that makes the science of golf available to any user, whether amateur or pro.
Activity Tracker: Apart from golf stats S20 can track your daily activities, it can track calories burn, hours of sleep and steps etc.
- The accuracy of the GPS technology is an amazing evolution for this type of technology.
- Knowing exactly where you are on the course and on the fairway helps you to pick the right club for the shot and the swing with confidence that you know where you want the shot to go.
- With the weight and appearance of a standard wristwatch, including time keeping functions and some added benefits with an odometer feature and a timer which allows you to keep track of your total game play, the Approach S20 is convenient for use both on and off the course.
- Boasting a ten hour function while in GPS mode, makes it convenient for a full day of play even on the most challenging courses.
- As a watch, in regular mode, the S20 can operate for up to six weeks on a single charge.
- The convenience of the S20 compared to other measuring devices is fantastic. Just strap it to your wrist and don’t even think about it.
No Ongoing Fees:
- Free updates of course maps and device software ensure that there are no hidden fees associated with the product, so the costs of Approach S20 are all up front.
- Compared to similar products on the market, some will note that the Approach S20 carries a higher price tag than many of its competitors. However, the functionality, and features loaded into this product have a lot to offer.
Analytics are Independent:
- Though the Approach S4 is tracking scores and personal performance, this wasn’t anything that I could share at the clubhouse immediately after my round.
- I needed to go home and download the information to my personal computer first.
Reliance on WiFi signal:
- Some buyers have reported that depending on the strength of the wifi signal, sometimes the GPS coordinates may bounce from one hole to the next in the middle of play.
- Some have also experienced sensitivity in the touch screen function of the S20.
Without a doubt, Garmin has made a significant investment to earn their reputation as an industry leader in wearable technology for sports.
After my experience with the S20 what I can say is that if you’re serious about your game and you are finding a best Golf GPS device, the Garmin Approach S20 Golf Watch is an essential piece of technology to add to your golf gear.
GolfBuddy Voice 2 Golf GPS/Rangefinder, White/Blue
- Easy-to-use talking GPS
- Distances to front/center/back of the green
- Dynamic green view Technology with distance readings from the golfer's perspective
- Up to 14-hour battery life (2+ rounds per charge) and water resistant
- Male/female Voice option
Did you know that most golfers think that they hit the ball a lot farther than they actually do? Using a rangefinder device can help you to improve your golfing game.
The Golfbuddy Voice 2 Golf GPS rangefinder is the viable alternative to a laser rangefinder, simply due to its small size, accuracy and simplicity.
Using the Golfbuddy Voice 2 is less obtrusive to your game than rummaging in your golfing bag to retrieve a larger, laser device, or trying to operate one of the more complex rangefinders, which can be confusing, and time-consuming, if they have too many functions.
- GolfBuddy Voice 2 is a convenient device and useful for your game thanks to its form, easy of use and be able to clip on wherever you want.
- By using this device, you can improve your performance in the course as well as feeling more interested in your game.
- It has multilingual settings, with eight different European and Asian languages programmed in.
- The software updates to the system are all free, there are no fees or membership subs to pay, and it has a range of accessories available, such as an in-car charger, and a belt clip.
- The Golfbuddy Voice 2 have the capability to show the distances to the front, the back, and the middle of the green simultaneously, which is a good new feature, much more convenient, showing that you can always improve on a good thing.
- You can wear it as a wrist band.
- Few users facing battery charging issues.
3) Garmin Approach S60, Premium GPS Golf Watch
Garmin Approach S60, Premium GPS Golf Watch with Touchscreen Display and Full Color CourseView Mapping, Black w/Silicone Band
- Sleek GPS golf watch that reflects your passion on and off the course. Quick Fit 22 mm watch band compatible
- Large, 1.2 inches Sunlight-readable color touchscreen display. Available outdoor recreation profiles : Skiing, Snowboarding, XC Skiing, Stand Up Paddleboarding, Rowing
- Quickly gets your location using GPS to Show precise yardages to greens, Hazards and doglegs, on full-color course maps
- Convenient Quick Fit bands for fast style changes without tools. Battery life- up to 10 hours in golf mode; up to 10 days in watch mode
- More than 40, 000 preloaded courses from around the world. QuickFit watch band compatible:0.866 inches
For the discerning golfer focused on fine tuning every element of your game, the Garmin S60 GPS Watch is an essential tool in your arsenal.
This watch will definitely make sure have a great golfing experience that you have ever experienced before. This device gives you the advantage to create a battle plan for every course you conquer.
Offering both precision monitoring of your performance and vital data to develop your strategy with every shot, this is a product is the ultimate course companion.
The performance of this watch has been proved by so many golfers.
One of the greatest advantages of the Approach S60 is that the size and weight of the device are similar to a standard wristwatch.
The accuracy of the GPS function of the device was impressive and the eight hour battery life while in GPS mode is suitable for rounds on even the most active and challenging courses.
Smart technology also allows for alerts and interface with your smartphone to keep you aware of incoming text messages and e-mails.
Free updates of course maps and device software ensure that there are no hidden fees associated with the product, so the costs of Approach S6 are all up front.
Compared to similar products on the market, some will note that the Approach S60 carries a higher price tag than many of its competitors.
However, the functionality, added features and attributes that have been loaded into this product which offer more than the advertised core function all contribute to demonstrate a great value for the spend. Shop and compare and you’ll arrive at the same conclusion.
The device does track scores and course statistics, the results aren’t viewable in real time on the watch itself.
While this can be synced and viewed on a mobile device or online, it does represent one minor drawback to an otherwise strong platform of performance.
Garmin Approach G8 Golf Course GPS
- Plays like Distance Gives The Golfer Distances To The Target, Adjusted For Uphill Or Downhill Shots. Display size : 1.5 Inch x 2.6 Inch (3.9 x 6.5 cm). 3.0 Inchdiag (7.6 cm)
- Smart Notification Receive Email, Texts And Alerts From Your Iphone (4S Or Later) Directly On Your Golf Handheld;Physical dimensions:2.1 x 4.4 x 0.6 inches
- Garmin Connect Online golf community lets you play, then share and compare your round; visit connect.garmin.com to find out more
- Club Advice Remembers how far you hit each club, and provides recommendations on which club to use based on your shot distances PINPOINTER Provides blind shot assistance by pointing you in the right direction when you are unable to see the pin (G8 only)
- Big Numbers Mode For easy viewing on your screen, increase the font size for distances to the front, back and middle of the greens AUTOMATIC COURSE UPDATE Device automatically updates courses with a Wi-Fi connection for no additional charge (G8 only)
You will elevate your golf game to a whole new level with the Garmin Approach G8 handheld device.
Combining the look and function of a handheld mobile device with all of the tools needed to give you a precise secret weapon on the course, expect your peers to start asking you “what’s your secret?”
Outstanding Features & Specification
Full color touchscreen display: The convenience and visibility of full color displays on a three inch screen fits in your pocket and is as discreet as any mobile device that you may carry.
More than 39,000 pre-loaded courses: You can step up to the first tee box with confidence knowing that even if it is your first visit to that course, you have all the information that experienced golfers have at your fingertips.
PlaysLike Distance feature: The topography of every course you tackle is different, so the Garmin Approach G8 not only identifies distances but also elevations, allowing you to adjust your swing and club choice accordingly.
Shooting up hill or down, every shot may present a slight variation in how you strategize your shot. This feature makes G8 becomes one of the best Golf GPS Handheld in the market.
Connectivity: Separated from other members of your party? Not a problem with the Approach G8, allowing you to receive e-mails and texts to discuss game play or to liaise on when and where to meet up with your group after a successful day on the links.
Club Advice: Take advantage of the Approach G8’s analytics which tracks your previous distances with each club on and offers recommendations the on the best club to use based on your own course performance.
This feature takes out the speculative advice from your caddy or your golf partner and gives you the best advice customized to you.
Garmin Connect Golf Community: Handy analytics and analysis of your game lets you track your performance on the course, compare it to previous rounds and measure your improvement.
You can chart your progress round by round, or collaborate your findings to assemble your best scores for each hole to single out your best cumulative performance for every course.
- Convenience: With the look and feel of a mobile device, the Garmin Approach G8 is like a personal golf coach and computer that fits conveniently in your pocket on the course. The full color format helps the player to visualize the shot before them and the large numbers are easy to read.
- Advanced analytics: It’s not only about today’s performance, but the evolution of your game. The functionality of the Approach G8 includes not only this shot, but every shot you’ve ever taken to help you tighten up your game with every stroke.
- Great for beginners: Buyers who have used this product report that it was a great tool to help them attack the course with certainty, knowing that precise information and advice was provided to help them best direct their play.
- Advanced GPS: The evolution of GPS technology to this product allows you to re-assess every shot on the go, measure the success of each swing and discover more about your game than ever before.
- Touch screen sensitivity: Some buyers report that the touch screen technology, especially for a pocket-held device is sometimes problematic. Users report that the touchscreen function is sometimes overly sensitive.
- Dependency on reliable WiFi: Buyers have reported that in situations where the local WiFi network was not strong, the GPS function did not perform to expectation. However, this is less a problem with the device as it is the environment and local features.
- Non-scalable views: Some users report that the lack of scalable views, which is a routine function now with most applications on touch screen technology to enlarge or manipulate a view for better visual understanding was a frustration for them.
There is a lot of competition in the market for both handheld and wristwatch-style devices for golfers. The Garmin Approach G8 handheld device still receives top marks from the majority of buyers owing to the design and analytics of this generation of golf tech offered by Garmin.
Offering an intuitive design that is user friendly for all ages – even those who self-identify as having little exposure to other mobile technology, the G8 presents with all the tools to help one’s game.
IZZO Golf Swami 5000 Golf GPS Rangefinder
- Distances: F/C/B to greens; layup/carry to hazards & doglegs
- Preloaded 38,000+ global course maps; no annual or download fees
- Auto course recognition & hole-advance
- New slimmer profile & larger 2-inch color LCD
- New improved 12+ hr battery life & scorecard feature (save & view scores)
With over 38,000+ worldwide course maps and no annual subscription, Izzo Swami 5000 is indeed the best unit for all individuals who are searching for the best Golf GPS.
I have used a number of Golf GPS devices in the past, but I have never been interested in researching or reviewing them.
I assumed that they are just normal devices and I simply had to buy any device that suited my budget.
How wrong was I?
I decided to challenge myself, get into detail and find an affordable top rated Golf GPS device that can be the best alternative to the higher-priced Golf GPS on the market.
My extensive research finally led me to Izzo Swami 5000. I realized that there is more to a Golf GPS unit.
Where this unit shined when I took it to the golf course for the first time, was in measuring the distance from the green to my location.
It was very accurate and it saved me a couple of shots when I cabbed up or down. I’m impressed with its general performance and amazing benefits.
Outstanding Features & Specifications
- Simple to Use- Izzo Golf GPS is easy to operate. The large, vibrant 2 inch color display is simple to read even if it is in bright sunlight. It provides the hole number, battery level and time clearly.
- In fact, I can read the numbers perfectly even without my reading glasses. The control buttons are also sensitive and very effective.
- Effective Course map edit function- The course map edits function allows users to reprogram front, center and back distances with ease.
- No annual subscription or computer downloads- This feature makes me feel happy with Izzo Golf GPS.
- I save the total amount that I could have otherwise spent on annual subscriptions.
- Accuracy- It provides me with more accurate distances. The short distance measurements are also provided in yards or meters.
- The unit is durable and waterproof- I use Izzo Swami 5000 in all weather conditions.
- Efficient rechargeable battery- The rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery holds the charge for long. A six to eight-hour charge can last for 2 full rounds. You can charge it from the wall or from your computer’s USB port.
- A protective neoprene soft bag.
- Belt Clip which slides easily.
- AC Charger
- USB Cable
- Supports 12 different languages. These include; English, Swedish, Japanese, Chinese-S, Spanish, Chinese-T, Korean, Italian, German and French. It can, therefore, be used with a wide range of individuals from different ethnic backgrounds.
- Preloaded with over 38,000 worldwide course maps. You will just have to charge it and then you are good to go. Turn on the unit and then select the play option. The GPS unit will search for all the surrounding courses and list them.
- Izzo Swami 5000 is available at an affordable price. Even with no annual subscription fees, IZZO Golf is still offering this fantastic Golf GPS at a budget friendly price.
- Easy to locate. The bright yellow sides enable users to locate the unit quickly and easily. This acts as a safety feature as it minimizes the chances of losing the Golf GPS.
- Auto backlight off function saves power. If you don’t touch any keys of Izzo Swami 5000 for a period of time, the screen will automatically turn to dark. You can also edit the back light duration through the settings menu.
- The course map update software is not compatible with Mac devices. However, it supports Window’s devices. You can, therefore, use a Windows computer to update your course map.
- The fact that the unit doesn’t have a resume round button. If you would like to change the settings during any of your rounds, you will have to exit, make modifications and then select to play.
- The device will then re-acquire satellites and you will have to search and select your golf course again.
This amazing unit will actually surpass your expectations. After your purchase, you should ensure that you upgrade the software.
IZZO Golf keeps updating the course maps with time. You will never head to your favorite golf course without it.
Izzo Swami 5000 is all you need to maximize your general performance on the course.
6) Garmin Approach S10, Lightweight GPS Golf Watch 2020
Garmin Approach S10 - Lightweight GPS Golf Watch, Granite Blue, 010-02028-02
- Simple, easy-to-use golf watch
- Sleek, lightweight and comfortable with a high-resolution, Sunlight-readable display
- Provides yardages to the front, back and middle of the Green -as well as Hazards and doglegs -on more than 41, 000 preloaded courses worldwide
- Keep Score on the watch for a summary of your round, total distance played and total time
- Upload your scorecards to Garmin Express to keep track of rounds
Take some old school ideas and the wonders of modern technology and mix it with having a top game of golf and there you will find a Garmin Approach S10 GPS Golf Watch as a best golf GPS for your game.
Golfers around the world have been investing in GPS watches in attempt to knock numbers off their handicap, up their game and help make them make better decisions on the green.
These watches can be used in all weather conditions to help you get the most out of your game and aside from that it is a watch so you can tell how long you have been out for!
Lastly, it is worth pointing out the charging of the watch. It comes with a USB cable so you can just pop it into your computer to charge up or there is an option of buying a wall charger if you would prefer.
Charing time is minimal so it is recommended that you disconnect it once the battery is full as leaving it in will start the battery to discharge.
- Aside from all the technology and information the Garmin Approach G10 also looks great on your wrist. It has a sleek design which is comfortable to wear either as a watch or just for playing with.
- There is an option of interchangeable bands so you can match it to your clubs and is water resistant up to 10m, just in case you have to wade into a water filled bunker.
- It even comes with automatic time, date and an alarm so you can program in your schedule of games that you have lined up. And just on a health note the S10 works as an odometer so you can see how far you have walked in a day.
- There are not many disadvantages to using this watch, aside from it making you want to play golf when you should be at work.
- If ladies are wearing it then they just need to be careful of any perfumes or lotions they are wearing as it reacts with the metal and can cause some rusting of the watch due to the chemicals. It is always an idea to give it a quick rub with an alcohol wipe or glass cloth after playing just to wipe any residue away.
Amazon Top Rated Golf GPS Watches & Devices In 2020
|1||Garmin Approach S20, GPS Golf Watch with Step...||781 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
|2||Bushnell Phantom Golf GPS, Green||295 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
|3||Garmin Approach S10 - Lightweight GPS Golf Watch,...||113 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
|4||Garmin 010-01959-00 Approach G10 Handheld Golf GPS||151 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
|5||Garmin Approach G8 Golf Course GPS||166 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
Why should you buy a golf GPS?
Buying a golf GPS offers you multiple benefits whether the golf GPS is stripped back model or the detailed one. Why should you have a golf GPS?
They offer quick and simple information
Every kind of golf GPS offers the primary role of providing you with the yards distances. They offer you the exact distance that you are away from the center. The information is displayed quickly and is easy to interpret.
Ease of Use
Whether you are away from the golf GPS all you need is to turn it on and come back to the yard. Even for you who fear the technological technicality, it is very easy to use a golf GPS. What other devices may be that simpler anyway?Speeds up play.
If you are a real golfer, you must have watched the masters. You will agree with me that anything that makes the game play faster is a great thing. Using golf GPS offers you that quick glance leaving you with the sole decision to select a club.
Accurate distance measurement
This includes the distance from the beginning to the end of the yard as well as the length of the hole. Additionally, you can also record the distance to the hazards, distance to fronts as well as to the back and center of the green.
These measurements are very accurate and useful and above all save a lot of time. You don’t have to guess any measurement when you have a golf GPS, do you?
Gain more confidence
Being aware of your yard distance gives you added confidence before hitting the next yard.
You don’t have to worry about a three-quarter shot. This alleviates fear and tension allowing you to swing better when playing.
Useful for wayward shots
This involves situations where the green is behind trees. How do you know the exact distance to the green? It would be absolutely hard to have an accurate shot without a line of sight.
The golf GPS comes to rescue you from that to have a better, accurate shot.
Reduces handicap as well as shoot lower scores
People who have used the golf GPS can tell you that they experienced shaved shots off their rounds since starting using a golf GPS. Quite reasonably, the golf GPS alleviates tension resulting in a better score.
Enjoy your game
Imagine having a device that provides with every detail of the game. All you have to do is do the interpretation and play. Isn’t that nice? You end up playing well and consequently enjoy playing even more
Analyze your round
This comes after playing a certain game. You can go back to the device and learn a thing or two about the pitch and the statistics of the game for a better game next time.
You get to know the furthest and the closest you heat the golf ball with every club
Those who have used the gadget admit that it can be a humbling experience in that you may have a wrong impression of the ball movement and distance covered.
However, the gadget can provide the correct data for distance covered.
Tips for buying the best golf GPS in 2020
Buying the best golf GPS may be a challenge if are not careful. You may end up making the wrong selection.
However, here are tips to consider when buying a good golf GPS:
The main reason for opting to use a GPS system is to attain accuracy on every shot you take on all golf courses.
Choose the device that has modern technology for better and accurate results.
The different companies manufacture golf GPSs that have different display size. Choose the display that is easy to read.
Ease of Use
Despite looking for golf GPS that has as many features as possible, you need to choose the device that is easy to operate.
The best golf GPS can even be operated by a newbie.
A basic device should provide the points distance. However, different producers manufacture different features that are unique from each other.
You should check a device that has added features like score keeping and tracking statistics.
This is a chief factor to consider while buying a golf GPS. However, how frequent you use a device determines how the battery drains fast.
It would be very bad if the device ran out of power at the middle of the game.
Every brand will produce golf GPSs that have the features to suit the customers, but the quality is what matters most.
Some brand names such as Garmin Golf GPS have been proven to produce quality.
Your budget determines the quality of a GPS that you will acquire. Cheap products may offer good service at first but don’t last long.
Try to buy a good product at an added price to avoid maintenance costs and low quality.
Before buying the best golf GPS check what customers say about the device.
You get to know the best one helping you to make an informed decision. The best customer reviews to check are the Amazon reviews.
You should always combine design and functionality. Try to keep all the tips above into consideration when buying a golf GPS to land the best device.
Amazon Hot New Golf GPS Watches & Devices in 2020
|Garmin Approach S40, Stylish GPS Golf Smartwatch,...||1 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
|Garmin Approach S10 - Lightweight GPS Golf Watch...||No ratings yet||Check on Amazon|
|STORTO Mens Solid Casual Shorts Summer Fashion...||No ratings yet||Check on Amazon|
|Garmin Approach S40, Stylish GPS Golf Smartwatch,...||1 Reviews||Check on Amazon|
|Garmin Approach S40, Stylish GPS Golf Smartwatch,...||1 Reviews||Check on Amazon|